Pond North LLP is seeking a Associate Attorney to join our Los Angeles office with 1- 4 years of experience. At Pond North, attorneys show their expertise through confident, thoughtful and proactive work product. Independent thinking coupled with exceptional writing skills is crucial for success.
Conduct legal research and provide advice or opinions and other legal assistance to companies and individuals. Attorneys acting for a client may initiate, prosecute and defend litigation or arbitration on the client’s behalf, or they may negotiate and draft contracts for a business or financial deal.
Attorneys will perform or may delegate the following (although not limited to):
- Researching and analyzing the law on complex issues and writing a brief for submission to a supervising attorney;
- Synthesizing legal research and analysis into a coherent written memorandum or brief for submission to a client, court or arbitrator;
- Appearing in a court of law, arbitration or other judicial tribunal on behalf of the firm’s client, and presenting well-reasoned arguments to the judicial body;
- Analyzing and summarizing complicated legal documents and suggesting alterations to those documents;
- Negotiating with outside parties on settlements;
- Anticipating and mitigating potential legal problems within the law firm or for a client, and developing strategies to avoid costly litigation and reduce potential areas of risk; and
- Manage work flow and request assistance from supervising attorney when necessary in the overall completion of and meeting of litigation deadlines.
- First Year Associate – Entry level associates work under heavy supervision and should be familiar with standard legal concepts and procedures;
- 1-3 Year Associate – Performs a variety of tasks under general supervision and should be familiar with standard concepts and procedures within a particular practice area; and
- 4-9+ Years Associate – Performs research and analysis of law, preparation of briefs and strategy development; may possess business development experience.
- Focus on quality work product; creative and strategic lawyering;
- Superior writing skills; confident and thoughtful analysis; and
- Maintain strong time management and organizational skills, detail oriented, and self-motivated.
Knowledge and Education
- Possess a Juris Doctorate (JD) and be a member of applicable state bar;
- Knowledge of state and federal civil procedure and state, federal and local rules;
- Familiar with Asbestos General Orders; and
- Experience with the following programs: Microsoft Office Suite, Prolaw, and NetDocs.
Physical demands and the work environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is required to work at a computer most of the day. Additionally, must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Domestic travel 10-15% of the time, sometimes with short notice as necessary.
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Robin Hammond, Human Resources Manager, Pond North LLP to: email@example.com
Return to CAREERS